Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Caffè Italiano


French coffee is pretty damn good, but I was won over by Italian coffee this weekend.  Stopping in coffee shops was a great way to get warm, get caffeinated, and figure out our next moves around the city.  We also got to practice our Italian--"Vorrei un caffè, per favore."  I know how to say this and "prego" and most of the possible pizza toppings.  I'm basically fluent already.


But pizza is a whole separate story.  On the topic of coffee, the first one I tried was a "Marocchino." Obviously I would go for the Moroccan-inspired coffee.  

Not only did it have cacao on top, it also had chocolate throughout, and particularly at the bottom of the glass.  This was a great choice for someone who has as much of a sweet tooth as I do.

Apparently Marocchinos are typically served in glasses because of the aesthetic appeal.  Looks good to me!



Next up was Caffè d'Orzo.  It tasted like coffee but smokier.  Like someone had managed to make burnt coffee taste amazing.
So I just looked it up, and it actually is made from orzo (barley).  I totally didn't realize this when we ordered it... multiple times.  It also apparently doesn't have caffeine.  I've given up on coffee really affecting me, so I didn't notice when I had it that it didn't make me hyper.  This will definitely be my decaf "coffee" of choice in the future.

The third style of caffè from this weekend was the basic caffè, espresso.  I don't know how to describe what really good coffee tastes like, but this was it.

How cute are all the different kinds of coffee cups?  I'm still on the lookout for the fluted espresso cups that we used in Annecy, but these styles and patterns make me smile too.




No comments:

Post a Comment